Friday, November 11, 2011

They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To....

You know....Grandpa was right. They just don't make 'em like they used to! I won't date myself, but I will tell you that I've been on this earth long enough to know that sometimes the "old reliable" really is the ONLY reliable.
This morning I decided to bake an angel food cake. Now, if you know me, you know that I hate cooking, but I don't mind baking. After all, baking usually involves the comfort foods like breads and desserts...the items that receive all of the oohs and aahs.  Who doesn't love dessert?!  Another fact you will know about me if you've followed my blog for a while, is that I've recently remarried. If you know anything about second marriages, you'll note that when you blend your households, you'll find there are some things that neither of you have and still need, and yet you'll inevitably end up with double of some appliances and utensils. (We still don't have a complete set of matching ANYTHING....you would laugh at our collection of cups and glasses...but we did end up with two mixers, two coffee pots, two toasters and two refrigerators).
So when I set out to bake my cake this morning, I grabbed the mixer that I deemed the most reliable...Eric's. His is only about 5 years old, shiny silver and white and looks as if it's got a turbo boosted engine within. Mine, on the other hand, is a hand-me-down mixer from my ex-husband's grandmother and is a circa 1950 General Electric. That's right, that dinosaur is 61 years old! It's plug isn't even polarized.
As I started mixing my cake, the new mixer petered out on me three times. So I grabbed the beat up old mixer that had been used by three generations (four if you count my kids who use it now, too) and that baby mixed up my cake batter like nobody's business!
Prior to writing this post, I wanted to be sure I had correctly dated Grandma's mixer and did a quick search online. To my delight, I came across one for sale....and they're asking $40 for it! It seems I'm not the only person who has a deep respect for this appliance! ( Check it out here and scarf it up if you're in need of a good mixer!) For these past few years since my divorce, I've been feeling just a bit resentful - upset that my ex got the grandfather clock, Italian leather sofa and other valuable decorative goodies- while I opted more for the practical things like mixers and lawn mowers. But in hindsight, I'm thinking I might have actually made out pretty well in the deal, after all!
So Grandpa, it seems you were right. They don't make 'em like they used to. Lesson learned? If you're unfortunate enough to have to endure a divorce, make sure to select the oldest, most sorry looking appliances when you're dividing up your goodies. Yes, initially your ex will think his theory that you're crazy is validated- but in the end, you'll have ol' reliable and you'll have the last laugh. You'd better believe I'm sending a link to this little revelation to my ex, today! ;)

No comments:

Google