Thursday, January 14, 2010

Eco Friendly Nursery Design

Now, I tend to be more of a "traditional" girl when it comes to my designs, however as I get older I find myself trying to simplify my life and my surroundings and so the clean lines of modern design are becoming more attractive to me. I also find myself becoming even more aware of my own footprint on the environment and am trying to be more conscientious of the impact that products I recommend to my nursery design clients, might also have on the environment. Ideally all of our products in the nursery would be environmentally safe, however it's difficult to always ensure such. So I believe that at the very least, we should take baby steps and build upon those selections over time. The basic items such as your baby's crib, flooring and walls are a great start! So today I bring you some beautiful modern and environmentally friendly products for the nursery. Enjoy!


The Eicho crib has an iconic, minimalistic look with an affordable price tag to match. Spot On Square, worked some magic to offer parents an amazing value while still providing them with a US made product that is both modern and eco-friendly. The Eicho collection, made of 100% recycled/reclaimed, formaldehyde-free MDF, is offered in a bright white non-toxic finish. The crib has three adjustable positions for the mattress platform allowing you to adjust the height to grow with your baby.

Designed by: Bob and Nicole Springer
Features:

  • Eicho collection
  • Three adjustable positions for the mattress platform
  • Made from locally sourced Walnut
  • MDF offered in a bright white non - toxic finish
  • Glues used in MDF contain no formaldehyde
Purchase at All Modern Baby





Don't forget the paint in your new eco-friendly nursery! Not only should you not be breathing toxic fumes during your pregnancy, but traditional paint is not as healthy for your new baby, too.
Consider using low VOC paints in the baby's room.

Conventional paints are made from petrochemical-based solvents, which off-gas toxic indoor air pollutants called volatile organic compounds that have a strong odor and may lead to long-term problems over time. Olympic brand now offers zero VOC formula in many colors. Olympic can be found at Lowe's.

And don't forget the flooring in your baby's nursery. It's well known that carpeting harbors dust, allergens and is often made of synthetic materials that are not good for the environment, as well as your baby who will likely spend years playing on his/her floor. I believe cork flooring is the perfect solution for not only a stylish nursery, but for it's environmentally friendly nature. Cork is naturally anti-allergenic and insect repellant.
Cork flooring is durable and provides excellent insulation. You can choose from a wide range of colors and styles to best suite your design. Not only is it comfortable to walk on, but also offers high noise absorption as well. This could come in handy when you're creeping around at night soothing a crying baby and don't want to wake the rest of the house, as well as in later years when your little angel is banging pots and pans on the floor, and even still in those teen years when the drum set arrives! (In fact one should also consider extra insulation in the bedroom walls...something I wish I had thought of prior to my 16 year old purchasing his electric guitar and amp!)

4 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Hello Sherri,
It's so nice to meet you! Thank you very much for your kind visit to my blog today. You are always welcome anytime my friend.

Your blog is wonderful! I'll be back again very soon.

Many Blessings. ~Melissa :)

Sherri Blum, CID said...

Thank you, Melissa! I thoroughly enjoyed visiting your site, as well! Blessings to you and yours,
Sherri

Melissa Miller said...

Sherri this design is beautiful! I do love the feminine feel with the soft pinks. Great choice!

Have a great weekend. ~Melissa :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love this crib! My favorite style is mixing modern/contemporary with vintage or antique accents. I'm currently researching design ideas for my 2nd child and we are looking for a crib like this that has the low center of gravity and the more European style. I totally agree with you on the carpet, it just doesn't get as clean as solid surfaces! So far I came upon a page with several blogs all dedicated to design at http://blog.simplybabyfurniture.com/category/nurserydesign/. They've got several articles about modern decor like yours with classic style. Love your site! Thanks so much for sharing all your design tips!

Google