Sunday, September 11, 2011

Not Your Grandma's Wallpaper!

Wall paper is coming back into our homes after a bit of a hiatus.  To be honest, I’ve never really been a big fan of wallpaper. I guess it’s because I like to change my wall colors so often, that I never really wanted the bother of having to strip the paper each time. But I’m heavily considering a change in tune. With this renewed interest, the manufacturers have stepped things up a notch with some fun, elegant, textural, metallic and fresh new patterns that have really caught my eye.
I’m also noticing that quite a few brands are now offering some great new kids’ patterns that I find very impressive. I’m going to list a few of my favorites here for you. I’m also eager to begin proposing these great designs to my clients. Any takers?
Wallpaper Collective offers some very cool teen patterns. How about this for a music lover who wants a cool retro “lounge”? By Aimee Wilder

I like this paper  By Piet Hein Eek for a boy’s room but it would also go well in other areas of the home, especially if you like a farm-house look. Rustic, rough-hewn wood is very current in décor today.

I would want to camp out all day and night with this wall paper depicting hand shadows! As a mother of boys, this is a favorite of mine!  This is from Paper Boy of London.

And for the girls, I love this super cool butterfly pattern from Mod Green Pod.  This is perfect for a pre-teen or teen with its hip colors! And best yet, their papers are all environmentally friendly! They are vinyl-free and they use water-based inks on FSC certified paper as well as a water-based glaze. No PVC!

And for your nursery or toddler’s room, check out this fresh monkey pattern in a variety of colors. By Bholu.

Princes and Crows offers some beautiful designs for the younger kids. I love these forest animals. Again, another popular theme in nurseries today!

Funky Little Darlings  offers some very unique papers. Look at the soldier ants here. Fun for your adventuresome little guy!

I’m dying to do a nursery in this sweet tree patterned paper!

And they also offer Mural Wall Coverings! I think this would be cool as a backdrop behind a pre-teen’s headboard!

And of course, I can’t forget my favorite designer, Candice Olson! She has a kids’ line of wall papers, too available through York WallCoverings. Each one seen here is available in multiple color ways.

I especially like the Dinosaur Fossils seen here.

And how cute is her camo style pink butterfly paper?!

I’m really digging this Bamboo Curtain paper for a teen’s room, whether boy or girl! Again, how cool would this be on an accent wall?
Candice Olson has this Rocker Silhouette paper that will be sure to impress any  teen!


Have you ever tried painting harlequins on a wall? Well I have…and I’m here to tell you that it’s not fun!  That’s a job I’d recommend leaving up to the pros, folks! Thank God Candice now has this sweet Harlequin Princess paper available to take away that stress for the do-it-yourselfer! 
After seeing all of these great new options for kids’ rooms, I’m convinced that wall papers can be pretty cool. And from what I’ve read, they’re much easier to remove today than in years past. So don’t be surprised if you start seeing it in my future designs.  I’ve already begun gathering swatches!
Have you considered wallpaper for your kids’ room or baby’s nursery? Share your thoughts with us.

No comments:

Google